xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Getting XMLBeans distribution
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:11:53 GMT
On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:56 AM, David Remy wrote:

> I think we need to get a distribution for download off of the
> xmlbeans website now that the website has been updated.  I believe we
> came to the conclusion that XMLBeans can do an incubated release as
> long as:
>
> 1.  There is some sort of note is posted with the distributable that
> this is an "incubated release" and therefore not sanctioned by ASF.
> 2.  The distribution would have "incubated" in the name of the file
> (e.g., incubated-xmlbeans-1.0.0.zip)
> 3.  The readme would contain the same disclaimer as bullet 1 above.

+1

> I propose the following language for the website and readme:
> "XMLBeans is a project in Apache Incubation and has not received full
> Apache Software Foundation project or sub-project status.
> Consequently this release is classified as an 'incubated' release and
> is not sanctioned by the Apache Software Foundation."  I just made
> that up so I am hoping that Ted/Berin/Cliff et al. will let me know
> if that is ok or needs revision.

Thanks for writing something up here.  Based on the discussions on the
incubator general list and the draft documents associated with them,
I've rewritten the paragraph to use some of the same terms.  I also
added a sentence or two to briefly explain why there is an incubation
stage, and that it reflects the status of the community, not the code.
Unless there are any other suggestions here, I'll post this paragraph
to the incubator list to make sure there is general consensus over there
as well.

"XMLBeans is an incubated subproject under the sponsorship of the Apache
Software Foundation's (ASF) XML project.  Incubation is required of all
newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the
infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have
stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects.
While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the
completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project
has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF."