xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Remy" <dr...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Getting the distribution onto a download site somewhere ...
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:20:29 GMT
So XMLBeans must get out of incubation without a 'Release'?  I thought a
part of judging the community was whether XMLBeans was able to have a
couple of releases, at least minor releases, to show that there was an
active productive community.  It seems like a difficult proposition for
XMLBeans to create momentum if it is not towards a specific release(s).
I mean what would the community be working towards?  The way I have been
thinking about incubation is to go forth and begin working like a full
fledged Apache project and naturally XMLBeans would prove it could build
a productive community (or not).  I assume most active Apache projects
are working regularly working towards a release (or perhaps even a
version release).

XMLBeans 1.0 is already a well tested codebase that is in user's hands
right now.  The code that is in CVS is even further bug fixed with many
improvements and features, so it seems in everyone's best interest to
make it available in a recognizable way.  It seems that doing this the
correct way would be a step in XMLBeans growing and establishing the
Apache practices.

That being said I started the discussion for tactical reasons so that we
could make a distribution available somewhere.  I certainly think in the
short term we could do the naming thing.  XMLBeans is just now working
on getting the site into forrest.  I was just looking for a place to
link to so that users could get a distribution in addition to source.
Doing nightly builds, much less release builds, haven't been worked out
at all yet.

Personally, it seems more logical to me that incubated projects should
actually be required to have a release or two to prove that they have a
productive community rather than the other way around.  The fact that
the project is incubation should give users the indication of the risk
they are taking and protect the Apache brand.

rem