xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Vasilik" <eric...@bea.com>
Subject RE: V2 Store discussion...
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:25:21 GMT
Did the JDK make the map operations safe in the face of multiple threads doing operations which
modify the map?   I believe that users should expect read oriented operations to be thread
safe and write operations to be unsafe (uses will need to synchronize in order to make them
safe).

The problem I'm facing with the architecture of the store is one where it seems that I have
to trade off synchronize/finalize with object creation.  I've found that creating fewer objects
benefits performance, but renders read operations thread unsafe.

Dave and I talked this morning about this and we believe that performance of the store is
so important that making the store thread safe (for read operations) will be optional and
*off* by default.

Any thoughts?  Any confusion about this trade off?

- Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Fry [mailto:christopher.fry@bea.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 9:55 AM
To: xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org; Eric Vasilik
Subject: RE: V2 Store discussion...

I think you should be careful not to make the same mistakes that the JDK
made early on with the map implementations.  The early map implementations
were thread safe and very slow, so no-one used them.  It might be best to
have two implementations of the store (one that is thread safe & one that
isn't) so that users can choose safety over performance.  Or performance if
they know the data will only be read in a single thread as may be the case
in WS-invocations...

-C