xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Remy" <dr...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Getting the distribution onto a download site somewhere ...
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:33:01 GMT
> On Monday, September 22, 2003 3:19 PM, Ted Leung wrote:
> >> IMHO, requiring to prepend a new XMLBeans release with
> >> under-incubating-foo.tgz would somehow imply that the
> quality of the
> >> XMLBeans dist has decreased in quality or robustness.
> >>
> > That was my concern, but the folks in the incubator are being
> > difficult on this.  I think we should work to minimize disputes and
> > work to try to get us out of incubation ASAP.
> >
> > What do others think?  Do you want me to go push back some more?
> I don't think we need to push back.  We just need to describe the
> technical qualifications of the code separately from the
> organizational
> qualifications of the code.  The version numbers and other
> documentation
> can reflect the richness and stability of the code.  The "incubated"
> prefix/suffix/whatever can indicate that the project code is not yet
> fully endorsed by the ASF.  I also think a blurb in the README file
> and on the Web site can elaborate on this distinction.
> Cliff

By doing this are we creating another process within incubation, the 'incubation release'?
 The reason I mention it is that the proposed XMLBeans incubation exit criteria explicitly
discusses releases (http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&msgId=1055888).
 Here is the verbiage right now: Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the
community. (requriment on minimum number of such releases?).  It just seems kind of wierd.
 XMLBeans is required to have a release but, per the discussion thread with this subject in
the general incubator XMLBeans cannot have a release.  Ted and Cliff have proposed a sort
of pseudo-release to get us past this issue. (+1)  My only question here is this criteria,
the 'incubation release', going to be applied to all incubation projects equally?  I assume
that it will be a common exit criteria to have a release or two, to show a productive, working
community, so this will be a pretty important precedent for incubation, won't it?