xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Bau" <david....@bea.com>
Subject Re: Beginning V2 ....
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:44:52 GMT
Eric wrote:
> I'm planning on getting the V2 code base started by making a copy of V1
and checking it in to V2.

+1, seems like the right way to start.

Here's what I think we're going to need to do overall while we ramp up v2:

(1) Get the old code (copy of v1) checked into v2 and building

(2) Keep the XMLBeans functionality running while we build "new" stuff
either into it or on the side of it, e.g., in new directories where new
stuff isn't just minor mods.  While doing this, nobody gets to break DRTs
(i.e., "ant drt") - unless there's a really good reason, in which case the
DRTs get modified.  For example, when you're working on the new store, you
don't get to break the old store, because other folks will be depending on
having _some_ store that works.  When I (and others) start reworking binding
to generalize it, we don't get to take away the old binding code until we
have new code that works better.

(3) When the new store is ready for prime-time (or any other big component),
we can plug it in and remove old code either (a) atomically in a single
commit, not breaking DRTs, or (b) over a transition period where it's
possible to run either the old or new code, and there is a path that passes
DRTs.  The switchover is either atomic or overlapping, but there should be
no switchover with a gap, so that other developers that are depending on
basic stuff running can continue to work in parallel.

In other words, let's make sure any new work is side-by-side with old
working code until it's good enough so that old code can be deleted. I think
it's what we need to do to be able to make parallel forward progress on v2.
Sensible?

David