xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Bau" <david....@bea.com>
Subject Re: Future XMLBeans feature work?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:27:58 GMT
From: "Ted Leung" <twleung@sauria.com>
> What about the possiblity of RelaxNG as a schema language to generate
> code from?

I pretty much know nothing about RelaxNG other than it has a reputation for
being clean, but my gut feeling is that supporting a different XML type
system unrelated to schema would be hard, comparable to saying "let's do a C
version of XMLBeans".  C doesn't have garbage collection or
java.lang.String, and that would just be the tip of the iceberg.

A number of schema features now that get baked into the XMLBeans binding
model, for example, the concept of exactly what a schema type is and how
type substitution works.  If we decide to tackle JAXB (which I think would
be a good thing), even more schema concepts get baked in.

E.g., a core part of binding is a conceptual "binding table" that maps
schema components to java classes and vice-versa; so altering the concept of
"what is an xml type" and "what is a class" can add significant complexity,
depending on how much you change those concepts. A couple questions:

(1) Are there key apps or corpuses of XML that require RelaxNG?  My own
interest is enabling the w3c and j2ee web services standards; and in making
it possible to implement other XML industry standards, and it looks to me
that everybody I look at with big pieces of data is moving very quickly to
consolidating around XSD, from biotech to banks, from j2ee to ws-i, etc.

(2) If there are key apps for relaxNG, would doing relaxNG actually be
natural to integrate, or is it really a separate problem that is "like" the
schema<->Java problem?  (A question out of ignorance of relax.)

David