xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: XMLBeans Apache Project
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:17:34 GMT
On Friday, August 22, 2003 7:00 AM, Darrell Teague wrote:

> Thanks for the link Ted.  I read through it.  I must confess my
> ignorance - I did not realize BEA already had a Beta implementation.
> My ignorance if furthered by the question of "Why an Apache XMLBeans
> project then?"  Is it that BEA is turning the code over to Apache for
> management?  What is driving this?  Is it that BEA isn't happy with
> the current design/implementation and wants to start over, extend the
> product through the open source community or just let it fly
> unfettered into the wilderness (like the XML4J project was turned
> over to Apache from IBM some years ago)?

XMLBeans was created within BEA because the other available options
didn't solve our problem (you know, the whole "scratching our itch"
thing).  When we finished we found out that people inside and outside of
BEA thought we had something that was really useful; not only were other
BEA product teams wanting to use it, but our customers also wanted to
develop with it within their own projects.  To be honest, we didn't
see this technology as a new revenue stream, so giving away something
that we think is really useful doesn't necessarily cost us money --
we had already built it for our own use.

The other thing was that everyone realized it could be so much more.
We've had a community of people using and discussing the technology
since January, and we keep getting feedback from people (see the update
note at the bottom of Chiara's blog at the link below) that they would
really like to see us add particular features (or fix problems we had
not yet found).  So, this was one of the main reasons we approached the
Apache community.  We admired (and had benefited from) the Apache
community process; we saw lots of complementary technology in Apache,
and we thought this could be a good way to begin a relationship with
the ASF.  So, instead of developing the next version of XMLBeans
within BEA and continuing to use our own community for feedback, we
thought it made more sense to have our development team work within
the Apache process with anyone else who was interested in advancing
the technology.  Finally, we think that some people will be more
interested in using XMLBeans if they see it evolving in an open
community.

Now you may wonder how or why we are going to sacrifice the complete
control of development that we used to have for something that we
think is really important and are integrating with the rest of our
products (Steve Maring wondered this last week...Steven Noels and
Ted Leung gave very insightful replies)....well, we are wondering the
same thing. ;-)  Seriously though, we don't know exactly how this will
turn out, but we have faith that Apache's meritocratic process, which
has been responsible for so many other great products, will lead to
the right thing for XMLBeans as well.

> Please let me know if you need/want any help with the project.

If you are interested in contributing, we want you!

Cliff

P.S. If you're interested in the discussion that was raised when we
proposed this project last month, see:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-general&m=105719667718853&w=2

P.P.S.  For those who have been wondering when the current source code
is finally going to be checked in, I should have an update on that
early next week.  As the first project BEA has had with Apache, we're
still trying to finish setting up some of the logistics and internal
policies to make sure this is a success.