xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: willingness to fork off XMLBeans
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:53:07 GMT
On 12/08/2003 20:04 Steve Maring wrote:

> But regardless, it would appear that the current design of XMLBeans is
> such that it can be integrated with WorkShop, whereas other marshalling
> frameworks cannot.  What is the willingness among the core BEA
> developers on the Apache version of XMLBeans to allow for possible
> design changes that may break the integration of XMLBeans with
> WorkShop?  Will we then see a BEA inhouse version of XMLBeans and a
> forked OpenSource version?

I can't speak for BEA, but as one of the people shepherding this into
ASF incubation, let me answer this with a riddle:

Nowadays, many commercial ISVs have some form of Ant-support in their
IDEs. Does that limit Ant to grow and blossom, waiting for new features
to be added until the IDEs have catched up?

If the community around XMLBeans moves faster than BEA can keep up with,
this would basically boil down to the same situation.

> Your Cheerful Flame Baiter,
> Steve Maring

please don't post HTML on a mailing list ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org