xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Maring <bambool...@yahoo.com>
Subject willingness to fork off XMLBeans
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:04:50 GMT
I just sat through a vendor Spiel by BEA extorting the virtues of WebLogic 8.1, WLI, and WorkShop.
 I was a bit concerned with regard to how integrated XMLBeans appeared to be with WorkShop
and the process of creating web services that marshal with it.  I asked the SE if you could
plug in a marshalling framework into the WebLogic impl of JAX-RPC besides XMLBeans.  He said
no.  I'm not totally sure I believe him since the JAX-RPC spec suggests that impls ought to
allow for the configuration of custom serializers.

But regardless, it would appear that the current design of XMLBeans is such that it can be
integrated with WorkShop, whereas other marshalling frameworks cannot.  What is the willingness
among the core BEA developers on the Apache version of XMLBeans to allow for possible design
changes that may break the integration of XMLBeans with WorkShop?  Will we then see a BEA
inhouse version of XMLBeans and a forked OpenSource version?

I know this will probably start a flame here, but I can't help but wonder if this "OpenSource"
effort is nothing more than a publicity stunt on the part of BEA and Apache was the unsuspecting
accomplice.  I just don't understand why BEA would hand off control of something so tightly
integrated with their ongoing vendor strategy.

If this IS truly legit, then shouldn't the name be changed?

Your Cheerful Flame Baiter,
Steve Maring