xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLBeans Apache Project
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:32:01 GMT
On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 01:17 AM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

<snip>

> Now you may wonder how or why we are going to sacrifice the complete
> control of development that we used to have for something that we
> think is really important and are integrating with the rest of our
> products (Steve Maring wondered this last week...Steven Noels and
> Ted Leung gave very insightful replies)....well, we are wondering the
> same thing. ;-)  Seriously though, we don't know exactly how this will
> turn out, but we have faith that Apache's meritocratic process, which
> has been responsible for so many other great products, will lead to
> the right thing for XMLBeans as well.

a couple of observations:

1. one approach that has proved a success (for example with the
jakarta-commons) is an explicit charter for the product. by clearly
declaring the aims, scope and vision for the product and stating the
standards that the community expects to uphold, a clear contract is formed
between those people relying on the product and the community developing
it.

2. there are many products in jakartaland which many people rely upon and
(over time) structures have developed to smooth this process. we have
strong rules for backwards compatibility, deprecation and versioning. we
also have gump. maybe XMLBeans may wish to adopt similar rules.

IMHO this kind of declarative control (as opposed to managerial control)
accords better with the 'apache way' and (as importantly) it has proved
successful before in (open source) practice.

- robert