xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "Swapna Gupta" <SGu...@cs.ua.edu>
Subject using XPath with DOM
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:02:05 GMT
Hello,

Please help me solve my problem, which is thus:

I am constructing an XML DOM tree and saving it in Xindice as DOM tree,
following is the code snippet for it:

DOMImplementation domImpl = new DOMImplementationImpl();

 Document doc = domImpl.createDocument(null, "lesson", null);

 Element root = doc.getDocumentElement();

 root.setAttribute("xmlns",
"http://swel.cs.ua.edu:8080/swapna/lessons");

 root.setAttribute("xmlns:xsi",
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance");

root.setAttribute("xsi:schemaLocation","
http://swel.cs.ua.edu:8080/swapna/lessons E:/SWEL-Shared/tomcat

server/webapps/useraccounts/swapna/lessons_learned_system/lessons_new.xs
d" );

 Element titleElement = doc.createElement("title");

 Text titleText = doc.createTextNode(topic); /*topic contains a string*/

 titleElement.appendChild(titleText);

 root.appendChild(titleElement);

In the end, after constructing the complete DOM tree, I store it in
Xindice as:

DatabaseManager.getCollection("xmldb:xindice://swel.cs.ua.edu:4080/db/"
+ colName); /*colName contains a String*/

       XMLResource document = (XMLResource) col.createResource(null,

        "XMLResource");

       document.setContentAsDOM((Node)doc);

       col.storeResource(document);

Now, I am trying to use XPath to make queries into these documents
stored in Xindice. If I use a query like "/descendant::*", and output
their result using getContent(), I can see all my documents. But, if I
do a query like "/descendant::lesson" (lesson is the root element), the
query finds no matches. On the other hand, if I store my documents by
reading their contents as String from an XML file, I can query them
using XPath correctly.

Are there any issues associated with using XPath for querying documents
saved as DOM trees using setContentAsDOM() in Xindice?

Please help.

Thanks,

Swapna