xml-xang-dev mailing list archives

From "S. Mike Dierken" <m...@dierken.com>
Subject Re: Offer of assistance in documentation, request for further information and specs
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:42:02 GMT
George,
I'm glad to hear of your interest.
There isn't much traffic on the discussion group, but I'll be glad to be of
assistance.
There are a large number of pieces that need improvement.
The biggest issue slowing people down is the lack of clear installation
instructions and easy to download 'installable' packages.
Next would be a better overview of the capabilities along with good samples.

Since the time I first wrote Xang, the servlet specification and servlet
engines have changed and the software doesn't have good support for the
various brands.
I'd like to update the code to work cleanly with Tomcat - the reference
implementation of the latest version of the Servlet API specification.

In addition, there is an approach I would like to apply to Xang that makes
it support different APIs for handling Web requests. By specifying what
'model' the code wants Xang can provide the access methods that are familiar
to programmers - for example, specifying 'ASP' versus 'servlet' would let
you write script against "Request.Write()" versus
"request.getPrintWriter()" - it mostly does the same thing, but the names
and parameters are subtly different. This would make it a 'middle-ground'
between all the separate server-side 'scripting' environments for Web
applications.

Mike Dierken