xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <cowtownco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: XSL Transformation in Xalan - Pls help!
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:57:22 GMT
--- On Sat, 9/13/08, Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also I wrote, the execution timing on both the OSs is < 1 second. To
> my opinion, you can ignore such a small difference.

Or more precisely: the methodology for testing seems flawed. Because of the way modern JVMs
work, single run without sufficient warmup time and repetitions only tests how fast JVM can
ramp up things.
It tells very little about application or library performance.

To get a realistic picture, one needs to run multiple transformations; first to "warm up"
JVM (since it will load in system libraries, hot spot compiler will compile some byte code
to native code etc), and only then measure. And measure multiple runs as well.

-+ Tatu +-