xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From "Mukul Gandhi" <gandhi.mu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XSL Transformation in Xalan - Pls help!
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:38:35 GMT
On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Sriram83 <ssriram83@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have included the output of Xalan Environment Check. I could not find any
> differences between both the environments. But still, there is a difference
> in performance between these two environments.

As I wrote in my previous post, there is one difference. The JVM on
Windows is compiled for Windows OS and the hardware that machine is
using. While the JVM on Linux is compiled for the Linux OS and the
hardware the Linux is running on.

The point I wish to make is, binaries on Windows and Linux are
different. Also, the memory management policies (and many other OS
features) on Windows and Linux are different.

Also I wrote, the execution timing on both the OSs is < 1 second. To
my opinion, you can ignore such a small difference.

You could try an experiment. Write a simple Java program, and run it
on Windows and Linux. You will definitely find the execution time
difference (which is most likely due to the points I wrote above).
Xalan is also a Java application, so you could deduce the same logic
for Xalan.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi