xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <cowtownco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: XSL Transformation in Xalan - Pls help!
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:17:38 GMT
--- On Tue, 9/16/08, Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still curious why do you want to make stylesheet
> runtime even
> better than 700 ms (on Linux) (which is < 1 sec. I can
> blink my eyes
> in 1 sec :)).

Well, if this is on server-side processing, 700 msec along is dead slow, even service-stopping
slow for typical request processing. :-)

I mean, 1.5 transactions per second per core is two orders of magnitude from what most services
would want to see (at least ones I've worked with).
At least considering it's a cpu-intensive task not dependant on external resources.

Of course 0.7 seconds may be just fine for batch-processing or client-side. But for most web
services it'd be too slow.

As to platform differences, locking is one area where platform/OS does matter. So if and when
there are differences, that could explain it.
Otherwise it does seem odd indeed that cpu intensive task performance was asymmetrics between
linux and windows.

-+ Tatu +-