xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Brian Minchau <minc...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Fw: Fomatting question serializing DOM with pretty-print
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:31:39 GMT

Hi Eric.

I read this thread on the user mailing list after adding comments to the
JIRA issues.

Not having a line seperator after the XML header was intentional,
regardless of any pretty-print.  We don't know if the output XML is going
to be used later on as a general parsed entity, so we take the safe route
and don't add the extra whitespace after the xml header (I'm sure Henry
will remember this decision from a few years ago).

Like Henry I also am intrigued by the thought of having a way to set the
maximum line length.

- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau, Ph.D.
XSLT Development, IBM Toronto
(780) 431-2633
e-mail:        minchau@ca.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM on 07/05/2007 07:25 PM -----

             Henry
             Zongaro/Toronto/I
             BM@IBMCA                                                   To
                                       Eric Kolotyluk
             06/29/2007 01:15          <eric.kolotyluk@kodak.com>
                                       xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Fomatting question serializing
                                       DOM with pretty-print

Hi, Eric.

Eric Kolotyluk <eric.kolotyluk@kodak.com> wrote on 2007-06-29 10:54:22 AM:
> The first obvious problem is that the first element of our document does
not
> have a linebreak before it - it's on the same line as the <?XML ... ?>

This sounds like it qualifies as a bug.  Please open a bug report in
Jira.[1]

> The second obvious problem is that element with a long list of attributes
> are not wrapped and indented. They should be wrapped after some
reasonable
> line limit (i.e. 60, 80, 100 characters - pick one). It would be nice if
> there was a way to specify this through the API. Also, when they are
> wrapped, they should be intented.

That sounds like a good suggestion.  Please open that as an improvement in
Jira.[1]

Thanks,

Henry
[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa
Henry Zongaro      XSLT Processors Development
mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com