xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Kesselman <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: xalan.jar and JDK 1.4
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 18:18:11 GMT

Sorry, but you can not use the normal classpath to override the JDK's copy
of Xalan. I don't like that answer either, but that's how Sun has things
set up. Their goal was to prevent accidental overrides of stuff shipped
with the JDK, and the result is that deliberate overrides are also
difficult.

Endorsed Standards, or the Boot Class Path, or patching the JDK are your
three available options.

For Xalan development, I generally use the last of those three: I produce a
"neutered" copy of the JDK by either deleting xml.jar completely or by
unpacking it, removing the Xalan classes, and repacking it. That leaves me
with a JDK which can safely load Xalan from the classpath.

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk