xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From david_mars...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Format attributes in XML tags
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 15:00:14 GMT
Johannes Lebek writes:
>I'd like Xalan to ... put each attribute in a new line.

And later, he added:
>The reason I'm doing this is because the output file is some kind
>of configuration file. This file needs to be changed by humans. In
>my opinion, tags with large attribute lists can be read more easily,
>if their attributes are written each in a new line.

Then my advice would be to review the tools that the humans will use
to edit that file. Perhaps an XML-specific editor would do better
than a text editor, or maybe Eclipse can be adapted if it doesn't do
what you want already. Something like XMLspy is probably overkill,
but it can switch among different views of the file. When evaluating
editors, consider navigation, checking well-formed-ness of the result,
validating the result, and other factors that help the humans.
.................David Marston