xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From "Holk, David A" <david_a_h...@groton.pfizer.com>
Subject RE: intermittent XALAN performance issue
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 18:45:01 GMT
Unfortunately I don't have any direct access to the Solaris machines where I
am seeing the problem. The best our Weblogic admins were able to do is send
me the thread dump in my original mail.

I have some built in performance profiling functionality in the app in
question and it helped me isolate the Transformer.transform() call. I
downloaded an eval of JProbe and the lowest level of granularity I could get
from it was the Transformer.transform() call which didn't really help. I
assume there must be some way to sniff out what was going on inside that
transform call but my trial license expired before I had a chance to figure
it out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Kesselman [mailto:keshlam@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 12:40 PM
To: 'xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org'
Subject: Re: intermittent XALAN performance issue

Hm. The closest I've seen to that set of symptoms was when I had set the
JVM's maximum heap size much too large, with the result that the beast was
swapping itself to death rather than running GC and bringing itself back
down to a reasonable working set... or when we were reading a file from the
network and there were bandwidth problems on the wire.

I don't suppose you could run this under a performance analyser and
determine where the time is going...?

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It
is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any
action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you
are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.