xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Nicolas ...@bregenzer.org>
Subject Re: xslt layout
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 19:39:56 GMT
Joseph Kesselman wrote:

>I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "layout systems"... but it sounds
>like you may asking about XSL Formatting Objects (XSL-FO), which is an XML
>language that describes how information should be arranged on the
>page/screen/whatever. You'd use XSLT to represent your document's contents
>as an XSLFO document, then use an XSL-FO renderer such as FOP to convert
>that into the displayed format.

maybe you hit the right point but as far as i know XSL-FO does not
produce XHTML (which will be the main output)
i give an example
if have a layout

----------------- topnavigation----------------
menuitem           content
menuitem
menuitem

i want to send the xml document which describes layout (not the xslt)
in that layout i include the current xml content.
for example

in java i want to choose my layout
<layout>
<menu>item</menu>
</layout>

then i modifiy it
<layout>
<menu>item</menu>
<content>
the content
</content>
</layout>

i want to send this document to the client
including the processing instruction for the xslt.

my problem is that the stylesheet consists of the standard layout
AND the specific layout for the current content. how can i merge
those xslt descriptions or is this a wrong approach. ?

regards nicolas