xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From "Lagomasino, Adolfo (Adolfo)" <ado...@lucent.com>
Subject RE: intermittent XALAN performance issue
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 18:30:22 GMT
Wild guess, but given that there are a large number of threads waiting to be notified, it might
be possible that the Weblogic detects those hung threads and cleans them after a while, putting
the additional delay (27 minutes!) in your application.
The performance impact might have nothing to do with xalan, but with app server.

Just a thought...
Adolfo

-----Original Message-----
From: Holk, David A [mailto:david_a_holk@groton.pfizer.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 12:28 PM
To: 'xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org'
Subject: intermittent XALAN performance issue

Hi everyone, I've got a fun one here I hope one of you enlightened souls can
help me with.

I am experiencing an intermittent performance problem with the
javax.xml.transform.Transformer.transform(src, res) call. I am using xalan
2.4.1.

 - When I run a specific transformation job (exact files data every time) in
my development environment (Windows2000, Weblogic 7.1) it always takes
approximately 15 seconds.

 - When I run this same job in our test and production environments
(Solaris, Weblogic 7.1) it normally takes 15 seconds but sometimes takes
between 15 and 27 minutes to run.

 -  Sometimes if I restart the Weblogic server instance I am deploying to,
the job will go back to taking 15 seconds.

 - When the job appears to be hung, there are plenty of threads and plenty
of RAM available according to the Weblogic console.

I included a thread dump below from one of the Solaris boxes that was taken
while the job was hanging in hopes one of you can make more sense of it than
I can.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

David Holk

"ExecuteThread: '4' for queue: 'default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x11dee0
nid=0x11 waiting on monitor [0xcfa81000..0xcfa819d8]
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:415)
        at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.waitForRequest(ExecuteThread.java:105)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:129)

"ExecuteThread: '3' for queue: 'default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x11d5a0
nid=0x10 waiting on monitor [0xcfb81000..0xcfb819d8]
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:415)
        at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.waitForRequest(ExecuteThread.java:105)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:129)

"ExecuteThread: '2' for queue: 'default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x238510 nid=0xf
runnable [0xcfc81000..0xcfc819d8]
        at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeStreamHeader(ObjectOutputStream.java:700)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.<init>(ObjectOutputStream.java:154)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.OutboundMsgAbbrev.writeObject(OutboundMsgAbbrev.java:80)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.OutboundMsgAbbrev.writeAbbrevs(OutboundMsgAbbrev.java:60)
        at weblogic.rjvm.OutboundMsgAbbrev.write(OutboundMsgAbbrev.java:43)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.MsgAbbrevJVMConnection.writeMsgAbbrevs(MsgAbbrevJVMConnection.
java:186)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.MsgAbbrevJVMConnection.sendMsg(MsgAbbrevJVMConnection.java:154
)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.ConnectionManager.sendMsg(ConnectionManager.java:537)
        at weblogic.rjvm.RJVMImpl.send(RJVMImpl.java:541)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.MsgAbbrevOutputStream.flushAndSendRaw(MsgAbbrevOutputStream.ja
va:250)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.MsgAbbrevOutputStream.flushAndSend(MsgAbbrevOutputStream.java:
258)
        at
weblogic.rjvm.MsgAbbrevOutputStream.send(MsgAbbrevOutputStream.java:319)
        at
weblogic.t3.srvr.ClientRequest.tryToSendObject(ClientContext.java:646)
        at weblogic.t3.srvr.ClientRequest.execute(ClientContext.java:696)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:153)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:134)

"ExecuteThread: '1' for queue: 'default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x2383d0 nid=0xe
waiting on monitor [0xcfd81000..0xcfd819d8]
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:415)
        at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.waitForRequest(ExecuteThread.java:105)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:129)

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It
is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any
action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you
are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.