xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Kesselman <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: SAX DTD validation help - Urgent
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 20:47:33 GMT
The Xalan command line doesn't support validation against a DTD not
specified in the document. That isn't a standard behavior for XML.

If you need to do this, you *MAY* be able to do so by writing your own
driver that explicitly configures Xerces to do that (I'm not sure Xerces
offers that option!), then passes us that instance of Xerces as a
SAXSource. If Xerces can't do it, go looking for another parser that can
and apply that same solution... or try to set it up via the Xerces XNI
layer, which is a lot more flexible but requires a lot more sophistication
from the programmer.

OR: Wait until we support XSLT 2.0, which may or may not introduce the
concept of explicitly validating part or all of a document against a
specific XML Schema (note, NOT against a DTD).

OR: Preprocess the XML document to insert the DTD reference before running
Xalan. That's probably the simplest solution!

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Sandy Tyra, in r.m.filk