xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From "Brad O'Hearne" <bohea...@avamar.com>
Subject Xpath across a network
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:24:16 GMT
Hello all,

I asked a question not too long ago that was up this same alley, but I have
a more direct question that perhaps you can help with.

I have xml data on a server, stored as a DOM, and I need to expose to a
client the ability to query the document.  XPath seems the perfect
interface.  However, I am concerned that if a client performs an XPath
query, the resulting data returned won't be only the nodelist, but a whole
bunch of other unnecessary info and data structures that the nodes reference
(like potentially the entire DOM).  I am not totally sure about that, but my
last post about this suggested strongly that resulting nodes from an XPath
queries had underpinnings to the "mother ship", if you will.

So...any advice on how to allow clients to query a remote DOM, and receive
only the actual results across the wire?

Thanks in advance!

BradO

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."  -- David St. Hubbins,
Spinal Tap
Brad O'Hearne
Software Scientist
Irvine, CA  92618