xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>
Subject Re: Netscape and UTF-8
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:57:20 GMT
Gerry --

I have seen similar behavior both in Netscape and IE.  You can also
change the encoding with an encoding attribute on an xsl:output element
in your stylesheet.  That way, you don't have to modify the java code in
each place that this happens.  Of course, you do need to modify each
stylesheet. :(

Gary

Gerry McDonough wrote:

> When testing my application using Netscape Communicator 4.73 I noticed a strange flickering
in the pages.  The page would initially load with all unprintable character boxes and would
refresh with the desired text.  I think this is a function of the default encoding in the
Transformer class which is streaming the response as UTF-8.  I added a line of code to override
the default in Transformer using the call

> transformer.setOutputProperty("encoding", "iso-8859-1");
>
> and I no longer see the strange flickering.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is
my diagnosis correct?  Is my solution correct?