xml-xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Gerry McDonough <gmcdono...@odbs.com>
Subject Netscape and UTF-8
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:51:29 GMT
When testing my application using Netscape Communicator 4.73 I noticed a strange flickering
in the pages.  The page would initially load with all unprintable character boxes and would
refresh with the desired text.  I think this is a function of the default encoding in the
Transformer class which is streaming the response as UTF-8.  I added a line of code to override
the default in Transformer using the call

transformer.setOutputProperty("encoding", "iso-8859-1");

and I no longer see the strange flickering.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is my diagnosis
correct?  Is my solution correct?

Thanks, Gerry