xml-xalan-dev mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: JAXP.next JSR Proposal
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 02:14:58 GMT
At 10:04 AM -0800 3/6/03, Ramesh Mandava wrote:

>   I agree with the problem users are facing to override the parser/transformer
>that is part of JDK. To avoid this problem and to allow users to override the
>parser/transformer with new parser/transformer ( for eg. from Apache
>) , Sun is
>planning to rename the parser/transformer classes that would go into next JDK
>release. With this change users can override the parser/transformer just by
>putting the latest version in CLASSPATH ( As the names of classes
>are different

This is an improvement. If this had been implemented in 1.4 it would
mean, for instance, that you could easily use the current Xalan
rather than the older, buggier 2.2d-10 that's bundled with the JDK.
It's a good idea.

However, as Joseph Kesselman already pointed out this does not yet
address the concerns about evolving SAX and DOM out of sync with the
JDK. For instance, it would not allow Xerces to support a theoretical
SAX 2.1 if JAXP didn't. To fix this, you'd need to bundle the SAX/DOM
classes in some place that's loaded after the user's classpath and
jre/lib/ext rather than before, and you'd need to lighten up on the
compatibility tests to at least allow additional classes and methods.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |