xml-xalan-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Java version need? - Summary so far
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:25:01 GMT
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Replies are falling into three categories:
>
> 1) Go for it, four other choices are enough
> 2) Since JNI is transparent I won't notice and I don't care
> 3) Java is the one and only true religion, go away heathen
>
> The Java oriented people are forgetting several things:
> 1) Hotspot is not available on all platforms
> 2) There is a  group of C based users who can't call the Java code no matter
> how fast or good it is.
>
> What is the target audience for the Xalan/Xerces project?
>
> 1) Research
> 2) Transforming large documents (books) off-line
> 3) Casual use in low traffic site
> 4) Heavy traffic site with pages begin generated from XSLT
> 5) Handheld computers
> 6) Stand alone apps
>
> The priorities for these audiences are not the same and often in conflict.
>
> I'm in category 4.  To satisfy the needs of category 4 XSLT transform times
> need to be under 50ms on common hardware, with under 25ms being better.
> Right now the C version takes around 500ms and the Java version is worse.

I'm in category 4 and I still want a Java version. I'm a cocoon developer.
cocoon is a java servlet. cocoon needs a bsd-licensed 100% pure java XSLT
transformer in order to be easy to install on platform X. speed is good,
but it isn't my primary constraint. a good cache goes a long way towards
ameliorating that anyway.

if you want a c/c++ XSLT transformer, more power to you - the day we have
mod_xslt for apache will be a great day. i'm sure xalan-c could use your
help, but there's no reason to call for the death of xalan-j.

- donald