xml-xalan-c-users mailing list archives

From "Hans Smit" <jcs...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Xalan 1.11 release date?
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 21:07:42 GMT
wrt releasing XalanC v1.11:

It would be very useful, especially developers starting out with XalanC. The
starting point for most is http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/download.html.

When they realize it's difficult to compile (MSVC++) and it is not the
latest version, then they realize it's time to check out the news-group.
Then it's time to install http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/, and after that,
trying to figure out where to find the latest trunk.

This is not very difficult, but it is a hurdle. Many of the news group posts
seem to be related to compiling issues which were a major issue for XalanC
v1.10 developers. These issues have been resolved in the latest trunk.

As for documentation - I agree, it is important, but I will be honest - most
of the work I've done with XalanC was simply trial an error, and when all
else fails - read the documentation, and when this fails (and it quite often
does), check the news groups, and when that fails send David a private email
:-) (just kidding). Did I forget to mention scrutinizing the source code -
this speaks volumes. Who needs documentation when you have the source code?
Maybe I've been spending a few too many late nights programming...

I also think it is a good idea to release a new version for two reasons :
the latest trunk is stable - period; second, it gives developers the
impression there is still activity and maintenance taking place (a good
thing when choosing an open source solution).

There is a 3rd reason: I would really enjoy seeing the various Linux
distro's use XalanC 1.11 as the standard version to install when using the
various package managers.

I have been working with the latest trunk now for nearly 2 years, and I am
absolutely confident it is ready for prime time. The stylesheet I use is
400K, it's huge! It's so advanced I nearly got it to do my dishes as well.
Believe me -  I've taken your code through the cleaners and the end result
can be summed up in 2 words - "it works".

Now, how about a new release...

Hans

P.S. Did I ever thank you for providing me with a wonderful toolkit to
handle XSLT transformations in C++? Job well done Dave. Thank you.