xml-soap-user mailing list archives

From Scott Nichol <snicholn...@scottnichol.com>
Subject Re: Compression support in Apache SOAP
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:59:35 GMT
I've just committed a change to add gzip encoding for HTTP.  You can get
this capability immediately by grabbing the CVS source, or tomorrow by
getting the nightly built for tonight.

The encoding is enabled on the client through SOAPContext.  For example, the
client in the gzip sample does the following:

        // Build the call.
        SOAPContext ctx = new SOAPContext();
        ctx.setGzip(true);
        Vector params = new Vector();
        params.addElement(new Parameter("data", inFileData.getClass(),
inFileData, null));
        Call call = new Call("urn:gzip-sample",
                             "test",
                             params,
                             null,
                             Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC,
                             ctx);

The ctx.setGzip(true) indicates that the request will be sent with gzip
encoding.

On the server, encoding is enabled through the deployment descriptor.  The
service in the gzip sample has

    <isd:option key="gzip" value="true"/>

The server will only use gzip encoding if the client indicates it can handle
it by sending an Accept-Encoding header.  Starting with this change, the
Apache SOAP client always sends such a header.

The gzip sample is the only testing I've done of this feature.  Note that it
should work with any SOAP message, including one in which there are
attachments.

Scott Nichol