xml-soap-user mailing list archives

From "Ivey, Brian" <iv...@spawar.navy.mil>
Subject Help with errors
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:08:51 GMT
I am reading a book on Java web services. I am working
through the examples as I go. I have encountered a problem
that has me stumped.

This application is one of the first examples in the book.
It parses an XML file using the DOM and then wraps this
in a SOAP envelope before transmitting it to a SOAP aware
servlet. The servlet is supposed to parse the message and
simply print it to the Tomcat console.

When I first execute this line,

java jws.ch3.SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient -df ./PO.xml \
	-url http://localhost:8080/jws/tomcat4/HTTPReceive

I receive this:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.soap.transport.TransportMessage.read(TransportMessage.java:206)
        at org.apache.soap.util.net.HTTPUtils.post(HTTPUtils.java:382)
        at
org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection.send(SOAPHTTPConnection.ja
va:309)
        at org.apache.soap.messaging.Message.send(Message.java:123)
        at
jws.ch3.SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.sendSOAPMessage(SimpleGenericHTTPSoapCli
ent.java:90)
        at
jws.ch3.SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.main(SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.java:16
7)

If I try the line above again, I receive this:

[SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client;
		msg=Connection aborted by peer: JVM_recv in socket input
stream read;
		targetException=java.net.SocketException:
		Connection aborted by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream
read]
        at
org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection.send(SOAPHTTPConnection.ja
va:358)
        at org.apache.soap.messaging.Message.send(Message.java:123)
        at
jws.ch3.SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.sendSOAPMessage(SimpleGenericHTTPSoapCli
ent.java:90)
        at
jws.ch3.SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.main(SimpleGenericHTTPSoapClient.java:16
8)

>From searching around the Internet I gathered that the first
call killed the server (??), thus the second call gave me a
socket exception. Is this correct? If I call Tomcat's shutdown
batch file and then restart it, I receive the first error
again. Seemingly confirming my reasoning that my first call has
fatally brought down the server.

Also, if this is the case, why didn't Tomcat inform it was
terminating. Is there a way to catch any/all error messages
(i.e. set a default logging level)?

The HTTPReceive servlet resides in the directory named
%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\jws\tomcat4.

To recap:

1. Please enlighten me on why I may be receiving these errors.
2. By default, does Tomcat print ALL messages to its console window?
   If not, how do you enable this feature?
3. How do you determine if something has been deployed to Tomcat
   correctly?

Thank you,

Brian Ivey