xml-soap-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Erich Izdepski" <eizdep...@cysive.com>
Subject RE: Using SSL and SOAP
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:24:19 GMT
I'd double-check everything, even the very obvious, like that you are using
https protocol, checking other apps work with ssl, re-starting tomcat.
Simple errors can be hard to find. There is nothing special you need to do
to deploy a web service that uses SSL. On the client is where the
differences come in, and the use of JSSE.

Erich Izdepski
Senior Software Engineer
Cysive, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: CKortmann@heyde.de [mailto:CKortmann@heyde.de]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 1:24 PM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Using SSL and SOAP

I configured Tomcat to use SSL, but when I make my client call the service I
get a Tomcat-error-page that :8443/soap/servlet/rpcrouter was not found on
my server. Using the "default" URL :8080... works fine. I thought I
configured everything okay. Maybe you can tell me what I have to do in order
to deploy a SSL-WebService!?

-----Original Message-----
From: Erich Izdepski [mailto:eizdepski@cysive.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 7:17 PM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Using SSL and SOAP

If tomcat is using SSL (as configured in server.xml), then all deployed
webapps can, too. Including soap and the rpcrouter servlet. What are the
details of the problem you are having?

Erich Izdepski
Senior Software Engineer
Cysive, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: CKortmann@heyde.de [mailto:CKortmann@heyde.de]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 1:04 PM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Using SSL and SOAP


After some reconfiguring of keystore, Apache HTTP (1.3.20) and Tomcat
(4.0.1) I got it working. My requests are being encrypted.

Now there arose another problem, I can't deploy a webservice using the
default rpcrouter, because it doesn't understand https.

What do I do to deploy my WS using https? Or do I deploy it using the
default rpcrouter and make changes in server.xml/web.xml?

I'm using Apache SOAP 2.2 and JSSE 1.0.2 (for SSL).


-----Original Message-----
From: Kortmann, Carsten
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 8:18 PM
To: 'soap-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Using SSL and SOAP

Using the debugging option, I found out that I was using an invalid
keystore... Now I replaced the keystore, but Tomcat now won't even display
the splash page. This worked fine, when I was using invalid certs... Can you
assist me a little further!? Thanx

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Pruitt [mailto:j.pruitt@f5.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 5:06 PM
To: 'soap-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Using SSL and SOAP

This is most likely a un-trusted server certificate issue.  Try adding the
following to your runtime environment.


If you see that it's a server cert issue, then you'll need to install the
server cert into your local truststore.  See the keytool documentation for


-----Original Message-----
From: CKortmann@heyde.de [ mailto:CKortmann@heyde.de
<mailto:CKortmann@heyde.de> ]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 6:52 AM
To: soap-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Using SSL and SOAP
Importance: High


can someone help me? I try to do SOAP-Calls over HTTPS and I always get the
following result:

[SOAP-Exception: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=Error opening socket: null;
targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error opening socket:

The SOAP-Documentation says, that there's noone listening at the desired
address & port, but when I point my browser to the address I get the
response from the rpcrouter servlet...

My client-side code looks like this:

      SOAPHTTPConnection shc = new SOAPHTTPConnection();

      Properties theProps = System.getProperties();

        case 1 :
            theProps.put("https.proxySet", "true");
            theProps.put("https.proxyHost", pHost);
            theProps.put("https.proxyPort", pPort);
            theProps.put("proxySet", "true");
            theProps.put("proxyHost", pHost);
            theProps.put("proxyPort", pPort);
        case 2 :
            theProps.put("https.socksProxySet", "true");
            theProps.put("https.socksProxyHost", pHost);
            theProps.put("https.socksProxyPort", pPort);
            theProps.put("socksProxySet", "true");
            theProps.put("socksProxyHost", pHost);
            theProps.put("socksProxyPort", pPort);
        default :
          theProps.put("proxySet", "false");
          theProps.put("socksProxySet", "false");
          theProps.put("https.proxySet", "false");
          theProps.put("https.socksProxySet", "false");

        Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());

          m_strServerURL = " https:// <https://> " + m_strServerIP +
          m_strServerURL = "https" + m_strServerURL;
        m_strServerURL = "http" + m_strServerURL;


      Vector params = new Vector ();

      params.addElement(new Parameter("arg1", String.class, m_strRequest,

// making the SOAP-Call
      Call theCall = new Call();


      URL ServerUrl = new URL(m_strServerURL);

      Response inquiry_response = theCall.invoke(ServerUrl, null);

      Parameter result = inquiry_response.getReturnValue();

        Fault theFault = inquiry_response.getFault();
        inquiry_result_string = stringError("01", "Fehler beim Aufruf des
WebService\n" + theFault.getFaultCode() + "\n" + theFault.getFaultString());

        inquiry_result_string =

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong and how I can correct the problem,
please. I don't (and cannot) use client authentication, so I left that out.
I'm working with Apache SOAP v.2.2 and JSSE 1.0.2, but it's no problem to
change versions if that solves the problem!

Thank you for your time!

Carsten Kortmann

View raw message