xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:22:35 GMT
I will vote against any resolution calling for a "Web Services" project
for the same reason we don't have a "Java" project or a ".NET" project.
Those are marketing names owned and established by other companies.
Find a new name.

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 06:53  AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software related to Web Services, for distribution
> at no charge to the public.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Web Services PMC", be and hereby
> is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Web Services PMC be and hereby is responsible for
> the creation and maintenance of software related to component
> and service management, based on software licensed to the
> Foundation; and be it further

Sorry, no.  That is not specific enough to be a scope of work.  Be
specific
to avoid including httpd and commons in your scope.

> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Web Services" be and
> hereby is created, the person(s) holding such office to serve at
> the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
> Web Services PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management
> of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the
> Web Services PMC; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> Web Services PMC:
>
>     David Chappell
>     Glen Daniels
>     Anthony Elder
>     Jeremy Hughes
>     Tom Jordahl
>     Erwin van der Koogh
>     Ted Leung
>     Steve Loughran
>     Christian Geuer-Pollmann
>     Axl Mattheus
>     Nirmal Mukhi
>     Scott Nichol
>     Piotr Przybylski
>     Sam Ruby
>     Alek Slominski
>     James Snell
>     Davanum Srinivas
>     Sanjiva Weerawarana
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Davanum Srinivas
> be and hereby are appointed to the office of Vice President,
> Web Services, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
> direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
> disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
> development and increased participation in the Web Services Project

That is where the board resolution should end.

> ;
> and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> Axis subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> SOAP subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> Security subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the XML
> Axis sub-project and encumbered upon the Web Services PMC are
> hereafter discharged.

That stuff should be implied by the scope of work and worked out
between the XML and *new* PMCs.

....Roy

p.s. the rest looks like a paste-o