xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "rajendra shah" <raju__s...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: SOAP Performance against RMI
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
RMI/CORBA relies on stubs and skeletons. Therefore It need close
coordination between the two ends that are communicating. If I make a change
in the specification, I have to make changes at both ends. (In SOAP the
changes at both ends are not mandated and can be made optionally).

SOAP is a loosely coupled architecture, ideal for B2b  environment, where
close cooperation between communicating parties is not feasible.

What you gain in terms of flexibility and loose coupling is lost in terms of
speed and performance. Comparing SOAP to RMI for performance is like
comparing apples and oranges. If your application and architecture allows
RMI to be a feasible solution, then you must use RMI as a first choice (or
CORBA if language independence is required). However, if you have a scenario
where you cannot use RMI or CORBA, then you have no other choice but to go
to SOAP.I think that the discussion has rightly digressed into understanding
the differences of the technologies rather than a simple comparision of
performances.

Raj