xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Hansen, Richard" <Richard.Han...@westgroup.com>
Subject RE: SOAP Interoperability question
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:00:32 GMT
Yes, it is possible, but a bit painful. Which is very ironic since the point
of SOAP is interop. Apache SOAP does not need or use WSDL. But that does not
mean that you can't have a WSDL file describing your services for clients
that can make use of WSDL. With MS you can also use the low level api and
skip the WSDL file. You do never need a WSML file for a MS client to call an
Apache server.

At IBM developer works there is a toolkit that will generate a basic WSDL
file from java classes. It generates kind of ugly WSDL and does not seem to
handle complex types. AFAIK, there is nothing else available that will
generate complete WSDL in all cases. So you will often end up editing the
WSDL file which is a pain but doable.

The main issue with Apache SOAP is the xsi:type attribute requirement. But
that is covered in the interop docs. I have also found it necessary to
create custom serializers for my complex types. By the time I get done
mapping the types (to get around the xsi:type requirement) the
BeanSerializer is not able to get the correct object type from the mapping
registry to deserialize my objects.

Rick Hansen