xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven J. McDowall" <sjmcdow...@uswest.net>
Subject RE: new webapp "soap" created
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:45:26 GMT

I'm not sure how portable (except for Tomcat) the webapps stuff is..
If worse comes to worse, we could make a subdir called "tomcat" and one
for each "style" if they are radically different.. And if anyone else
figures out how to make it work :-)

Meanwhile, I like the changes.. They should make the package easier to
install and get up and running.. which is always a "good thing" ..

Did I miss the cvs commit to the "program" rpcrouter that is the
"servlet/rpcrouter" (which is nothing more than a wrapper on the
RPCRouterServlet of course).. Not sure I saw this..

Meanwhile, I do believe I am hearing the death knells on rpcrouter.jsp :-)

-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 9:33 PM
To: Apache SOAP
Subject: new webapp "soap" created

I removed the old directories 'admin' and 'rpcrouter' from the
webapps directory and added one called 'soap'. This webapp has the
admin client in the admin subdir and in the WEB-INF/web.xml file
the RPCRouterServlet is registered under the name rpcrouter.
So, now you can add one context to Tomcat and see the contents
of index.html (which is nothing basically) or run the admin client
or check out the RPC router servlet (which promptly informs you that
it doesn't speak HTTP GET. If you add the context /soap to point
to the webapps/soap dir, the admin client is available at /soap/admin
and the RPC router servlet is at /soap/servlet/rpcrouter. The old
rpcrouter JSP is still available too at /soap/rpcrouter/rpcrouter.jsp.
They now all work correctly as a part of a single application.

Questions:
- Is the Servlet 2.2 webapp model supported by all app servers?
- Should we also package up a war file that full webapp supporters
  can just drop the thing in and not have to worry about classpath
  and all that stuff? How portable is that?
- Are we ready to say bye bye to rpcrouter.jsp? I think so.

Sanjiva.