xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Noel Gadreau <jngadr...@activcard.com>
Subject RE: xml-soap and xsi:type requirements
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:32:47 GMT
Sounds like a good idea.

Jean-Noel
=============
Jean-Noel GADREAU
Software Engineer, ActivCard Inc.( http://www.activcard.com
<http://www.activcard.com/>  )
E-mail: jngadreau@activcard.com
Tel (main): 510-574-0100
Tel (direct): 510-574-1736

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 1:26 PM
To: soap-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: xml-soap and xsi:type requirements

This is not too hard to add - here's a proposal on how to remove
the requirement that xsi:type be present for every element.

Currently:
- the deserialization logic picks up the value of
  the xsi:type attribute and looks at it as a QName that is the
  type of the element.
- this type is then looked up in the mapping registry to find
  the appropriate deserializer.

What we can do is the following:
- if the xsi:type attribute is null, then use the QName of the
  element as the type and look up a deserializer for it.
- the user indicates the serializer by writing in the deployment
  descriptor this mapping (similar to what (s)he does now for
  the type QName).
- when we get schema support in, we just change the above to
  first look up the element QName in the schema type lattice
  and then do the de-serializer lookup.

A similar logic works for serialization.

This is trivial to implement and will allow APache SOAP to work
without xsi:type being present. What do you think?

Sanjiva.