xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Noel Gadreau <jngadr...@activcard.com>
Subject RE: Soap Provider classes need access to servlet data
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 20:45:34 GMT
I have sent an e-mail a few days ago explaining (more or less) what changes
I was about to do, in case someone is interested. If you want more details
on the changes I am working on, you can have a look to an e-mail called
"Evolutions on XML-SOAP". I can forward it to you if you want.

To me, the SOAPAction is just a duplicate of the (URI , localname) in the
SOAP-Body ( I think the spec specifically says that), so you don't really
need the SOAPEngine to know about this HTTP specific stuff.

The way I see it, when the SOAPEngine gets the request, it has already
created an "Envelope", which is to me just some checks that it is a valid
"SOAP-Envelope". At this point, everything is still DOM Elements. Then, the
several EnvelopeProcessors are called and are going to perform operations on
the envelope and its context.

To solve the "getSession()" problem (I have basically a similar problem), my
idea was to have the EnvelopeContext passed to the EnvelopeProcessors. The
servlet puts some information in the context, and all the processors can
add/change this information. For instance, an "AccessControlProcessor" could
put some information about whether the user is authenticated. To do that, it
could access the HttpServletRequest that was put in the context by the
Servlet.

The advantage of that is that only this accessControlProcessor is tied to
the servlet front-end, so that is you have a SMTP delivery system, you just
need to change this processor in the engine.

In my proposal, I was also mentionning a kind of "extended RPCCall" where
the class providing the service (like StockQuoteService) would take as first
parameter the "EnvelopeContext". This way, this class performing the service
can have access to all the information in the context. For instance, the
ExtendedStockQuoteService" could check if the user is authenticated and then
provide real-time quotes compared to delayed quotes for non-members.

If you guys are interested, I can post something as soon as it kinda
compiles so you can see more what I am talking about.

Jean-Noel

Jean-Noel GADREAU
Software Engineer, ActivCard Inc.( http://www.activcard.com
<http://www.activcard.com/>  )