xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Noel Gadreau <jngadr...@activcard.com>
Subject RE: Evolutions on XML-SOAP
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:40:58 GMT
I guess I was not exactly clear so I will try to clarify. My main priority
here is to define with you guys changes that would be part of the core "SOAP
engine". I agree that is not a good idea at all to modify the existing SOAP
to support additional features that are not part of the spec. We really
don't want to embrace-and-extend the Apache-SOAP implementation.

What I want to achieve is to provide the appropriate "hooks" to the existing
Apache-SOAP so that 3rd parties (like us) can use the Apache-SOAP code,
rather than rewriting their own SOAP core implementation.

For instance, we have a need to provide authentication / authroization of
SOAP commands. I don't think this belongs to the Apache-SOAP which I
consider as an implementation of the SOAP spec. I see these extensions as a
set of "plugins" that could be added to the core.

We are going to change our existing server to move to SOAP (right now, we
are using our own XML notation). All we want to do is give back to the
community part of what we are doing to improve the SOAP implementation. This
seems fair, knowing that we will be using some of the code from the
Apache-SOAP.

The reason why I even proposed those changes beforehand, rather than giving
patches including those changes is that we want to work with the Apache-SOAP
community to go "in the right direction". If you think what we are proposing
does not fit with Apache-SOAP, that's ok with us too.

I hope this will clarify a bit our point of view. Feel free to contact me
for further information.

Best regards,
Jean-Noel GADREAU

Jean-Noel GADREAU