xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Richard_Stanf...@exe.com
Subject Re: Evolutions on XML-SOAP
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:10:17 GMT

My personal reaction as an observer (rather than a current committer or
anything) is that some of these sound like embrace-and-extend tactics
(especially storing the extra information in the envelope header).  Personally,
I feel that projects like this are most successful when they correctly implement
the standard as written.  Extentions are great for add-on products, but
shouldn't interoperability be the primary goal?  The same with security -- its a
good idea, but if implemented externally in a 3rd party product it would work
for all complient SOAP servers, and all SOAP servers would work with all
security add-ons (well, good from a standards base rather than a forced-adoption
base I guess).

-Richard

My company (ActivCard, http://www.activcard.com ) wants to use the XML-SOAP
toolkit for the SOAP related tools that we want to have. Basically, we want
to be able to:

     1) put some information in the envelope header in order to keep some
session information
     2) provide other services on top of SOAP, not just RPC. For
instance, we want to be able to:
          - have a component that will be able to look at the envelope
and route it to the actual server performing the request
          - have a component that will perform some access control on
the SOAP services
          - rewrite or modify an envelope before passing along to
another part
     3) when performing a call, have a way to provide additionnal
information about the call (who is performing the call, what are the
permissions, ...)

I have downloaded the XML-SOAP source code from CVS and started playing with
it. In order to be able to implement the above features, we are going to
need to extend the existing implementation. My company has agreed to give
back all the changes to the XML-SOAP project. Therefore, I thought that I
would share with you what I changes I have in mind, so that everybody can
provide feedback, ideas, improvement, ... BEFORE I start the implementation.
This would allow to have our modifications go in the "right direction" from
the XML-SOAP point of view.