xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Brown, Keith" <KBr...@develop.com>
Subject xml-soap and xsi:type requirements
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:58:28 GMT
It's not clear to me why the Apache implementation requires xsi:type
attributes describing *all* parameters. Is there a way to turn off this
requirement? This would make it much easier to interop with environments
(like Perl) where type information is much more scarce (and not terribly
desirable). I'm guessing the reason for the requirement is for dealing with
overloaded method signatures?

Following is a thread I posted to the SOAP list recently for some
background.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Brown, Keith [mailto:KBrown@DEVELOP.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 3:44 PM
To: SOAP@DISCUSS.DEVELOP.COM
Subject: [SOAP] SOAP/Perl progress report

I'm testing SOAP/Perl against the apache xml-soap implementation, and I now
see what you mean about type-encoding each element. They reject any requests
that don't have xsi:type attributes on all of the parameters.

I hacked my code to send all parameters as xsd:string, and now I get a fault
code of
<faultstring>org/apache/soap/util/MethodUtils$MoreSpecific</faultstring>

which seems to indicate that I need to specify the actual types as opposed
to strings (or just use strings in all my test snippets ;-)

This isn't looking good from a Perl programmer's perspective - we don't have
that sort of type information in Perl.

Can anybody on the apache team help me here?

Keith