xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Wouter Cloetens" <wcloe...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: xml-soap and xsi:type requirements
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:55:32 GMT
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:34:46 -0400, rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

>> - the user indicates the serializer by writing in the
>>   deployment descriptor this mapping (similar to what (s)he
>>   does now for the type QName).

>Is there some way to improve this by using reflection?

Well, yes, you can make the process of the user creating the deployment
descriptor very user-friendly by (1) creating a program that generates
a deployment descriptor for all the public methods in a class by simply
specifying that class as a parameter and (2) for the web interface,
discover the class after entering its name and then pick up all the
method signatures for those methods whose name you've just entered.
The difference between how it works currently, and how it will work
then, is that the deployment descriptor captures the entire method
signature (at configuration time), rather than just the method name and
let signature mismatches throw a runtime exception.

Except for this case... How would you discriminate between, e.g.,
method foo(String, int) and foo (String, String) if you don't know if
the 2nd parameter you were passed is supposed to be an int?

>I am *really* impressed by the absolutely seemless nature of the MS ASP+
>implementation.

So how do they resolve the case above? Or do they force the use of a
schema (that doesn't seem very seamless to me)?

bfn, Wouter
--
http://www.workspot.net/~zombie/soap/
My opinions are irrelevant. They will be assimilated by my employer.