xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Elkins" <celk...@scardini.com>
Subject Re: what do we call this beast?
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:16:03 GMT
> I'm OK with Apache-SOAP, although I also like "Open SOAP", or, sticking with
> the Apache-XML naming scheme "Xoap".
>
> Hm... do people think "Xoap" would be too confusing?  I really do like that.
> :)

I like where you're going with that name. However, sound it aloud.....if it's
pronounced the way it looks, it comes out as "Zope". For obvious reasons, you
can't use that name.

Here's my $.02 as nothing more than a lurker on this list: Because SOAP is the
protocol, (re-)naming the project 'Apache-SOAP' seems a little redundant -
"Apache-SOAP is Apache's implementation of SOAP." Sure, it's self-describing,
but not all that interesting. It also nominally limits the project's ability to
advance in other, non-SOAP directions (e.g., alternative SOAP-like protocols).
(However, I'd wager that the project's charter is more limiting in this respect
than the project's name.)

--
Christopher Elkins