xml-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@watson.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Java Sevlet Implementation - Attachment
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 02:30:13 GMT
Steven J. McDowall writes:
> 2) As for the try/catch you mentioned. I wondered about this too, and
> it probably should be changed. I didn't want to change the behavior of
> the first version TOO much from the jsp, including bad behavior. :-)

The response part is not "expected" to throw exceptions (by that time
all the reasons that could cause them should've been checked), however,
I agree that that should be done within a try/catch.

Note that not all errors are to be returned as SOAP faults; see the
spec for details.

> Hopefully this code (and the README text, etc. ) will go into the standard
> xml-soap CVS somewhere (with the proper apache disclaimer headers, etc.)
> as version 1.0, and from there I can fix these up and also approach the
> synchronization issue..

I have three drafts of servletifying rpcrouter.jsp: yours, someone else
who sent it to me direct, and my own. I'm going to try to merge it all
and commit a version in the next hour or so.

> Sanjiva or anyone, could someone explain WHAT was the thinking behind
> the various scope, iScope, scopeids, etc. and how that related to
> synch. and how we should approach in a servlet context? :-)

That's how lifecycle management is done of the object providing the
service. When you deploy a service the author indicates what scope
should be used to new the class (unless it is static of course): request,
page, session or application. The router creates the object under that
scope and manages it and routes requests to the appropriate instance.
We cannot just dump that code (as your servlet appears to) unless we
also remove that logic from the deployment stuff. I don't want to make
such a change for this version; I'm all for a better way to do
lifecycle management however because the current model doesn't work
when the messages are carried over JMS, say.

How to approach it? Take a look at the servlet generated by the JSP
compiler; you'll see exactly how to handle it ..

Sanjiva.