xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: WebServer.java
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:57:37 GMT
"Rob Walker" <robw@softsell.com> writes:

> > I would very much like to dump the WebServer class in favor of
> > wrapping the XmlRpcServer in a HttpServlet
>
> Interestingly we've done this for Osgi (the open source Oscar
> implementation) - by providing a Servlet bridge from the xml/rpc handlers
> through to Jetty as the HttpServer (which is itself wrappered to provide a
> standard OSGi HttpService).

This is exactly what I am considering.  It's perfect for my use case,
considering that we're already running a servlet engine (Tomcat 4.1.x).

> Works fine - no firm stats, but seems somewhat slower than the built in
> WebServer which we still use for performance critical stuff.

I'd rather have the stability of a full-blown, maintained servlet
engine; XML-RPC's spec makes perfomant implementations difficult,
anyhow.  We avoid doing performance-critical operations over XML-RPC.
In the future, we will be using more and more Spread
<http://www.spread.org/>, perhaps eventually via JMS
<http://jms4spread.tigris.org/>.  We may install the XmlRpcServer as
the RPC layer to use over Spread or JMS.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>