xml-general mailing list archives

From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:58:49 GMT
I have a library I develop (XMLC [1]) that depends on JDK1.3 and also depends
on Xerces.  That said, part of the reason of depending on JDK1.3 is to stay in
line with the Xerces dependency on JDK1.3.  The other reason is that JDK1.3 is
free and clear of any built-in XML APIs, which allows me to include exactly
the JAXP library of my choice (xml-apis.jar) without worry of compile-time
binding to odd invalid APIs included in 1.4 (such as some stuff meant for the
HTML2 API that got placed in the HTML1 API DOM package namespace).  But if
Xerces decides to move to a later version of Java, then I will probably move
XMLC right along with it.

That said, I would think that if Xerces were going to bother making a move at
all it would move to JDK1.5 rather than bother with 1.4.  Xerces 2.10 is
always there for 1.3 and 1.4 codebases, which should all be well into
maintenance mode meaning few, if any, library changes.  Moving to 1.5 would
allow Xerces to take advantage of all the new language constructs added in
1.5, as well as APIs added in 1.5 (e.g., StringBuilder -vs- StringBuffer).

So, +1 for changing JDK dependency in general, but I would prefer a move
straight to JDK1.5+ skipping JDK1.4 support.  This also seems to be what a lot
of Apache commons libraries are doing, so it's certainly not unprecedented.

[1] http://forge.ow2.org/projects/xmlc/

Jake