xml-general mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:46:11 GMT
At work here, we jumped from 1.4.2 to 6 a .couple of years ago. We use Java 6 for all new products.
We have older product versions that are still supported that run on 1.4.2 which we update
for bug fixes. We are constantly encouraging our users to upgrade products to current versions
which do require Java 6.

So you can jump to Java 6 from my POV

Gary Gregory
Senior Software Engineer
Seagull Software
email: ggregory@seagullsoftware.com
email: ggregory@apache.org
www.seagullsoftware.com

From: Michael Glavassevich [mailto:mrglavas@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 08:36
To: j-dev@xerces.apache.org; j-users@xerces.apache.org
Cc: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Hi all,

(including general@xml.apache.org on the cc list to hopefully reach a wider audience)

We're talking again on the Xerces j-dev mailing list about dropping support for JDK 1.3. The
reason being that current builds of the XPath 2.0 processor (Eclipse PsychoPath) used by the
XML Schema 1.1 implementation require JDK 1.4. While we do have a one-off PsychoPath jar that
was built with JDK 1.3 some time ago, in order to pick up recent bug fixes in this library
we need to refresh it with the JDK 1.4 version. This would only impact the XML Schema 1.1
enabled release for now but at some point in the future when XML Schema 1.1 becomes stable
(both spec and impl) this would get merged into the main line.

Given the age of JDK 1.3 and that it's generally out of service my intuition is that this
upgrade would probably be okay but wanted to check with users on their needs. Is there anyone
out there still using Xerces-J with JDK 1.3? If you are, how long into the future will you
continue to do so, and would you be willing to migrate to JDK 1.4 (or higher) to be able to
use XML Schema 1.1?

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development