xml-general mailing list archives

From kesh...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: [Announce] Escaping double quotation marks in XSL
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:58:11 GMT

> Assuming that you are only interested in stream serialization, have you
> thought of doing the serialization yourself for particular elements?  For
> example, something like this:
>
> <!-- self serialization of image elements with tag for image done in
> CDATA,
but delegate attributes serialization -->
> <xsl:template match="image">
>  <![CDATA[ <image]>><xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/> <![CDATA[
>]>>
> </xsl:template>

I *REALLY* detest that idiom. I've seen many people hurt themselves by
trying to hand-generate XML; I consider it a very bad practice. Unless
you're forced to do it in order to work with a downstream tool which has
not been implemented correctly, I would recommend finding another solution.
Any other solution.