xml-general mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: best approach to whole document cloning in Xerces2?
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:17:53 GMT
At 11:17 AM 4/16/2006, you wrote:
 >Hi Jake,
 >
 >The behaviour of Document.cloneNode(true) [1] is implementation dependent.
 >In Xerces it will create a new Document and then import the children from
 >the original document.

Which would leave out the DTD, I suppose.  So, it would make more
sense to create my own document and do something like this, right?...

             DOMImplementation domImpl = document.getImplementation();
             String documentElement = document.getDoctype().getName();
             DocumentType docType =
domImpl.createDocumentType(documentElement,
document.getDoctype().getPublicId(), document.getDoctype().getSystemId());
             Document doc = domImpl.createDocument("",
documentElement, docType);
             Node node = doc.importNode(document.getDocumentElement(), true);
             doc.replaceChild(node, doc.getDocumentElement());

This is what I do currently to get a copy of the template DOM at
runtime, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it the most correct
and efficient way possible.

Of course, this leaves out any internal subset and entity nodes,
no?  How would I clone it all?  Is it possible via the DOM interfaces?

 > I would be really surprised if reparsing the
 >document performed better than an in-memory copy (unless you had a
 >UserDataHandler [2] registered which does some heavy operation in response
 >to the cloning/importing).

I kind of figured this, but I just wanted to make sure that the
caching of template DOM's that I'm doing makes sense.

Jake