xml-general mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject best approach to whole document cloning in Xerces2?
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:17:10 GMT

I'm wondering what's the best approach to cloning an entire
document?  Would it be better to keep a master copy in memory and
then create a new document and import the other document in there, or
would it be better to simply reparse the document every time (where
the document is used over and over again as a template, a copy is
created and manipulated on each HTTP request, then serialized to the
browser)?  If I keep the document in memory and know I am dealing
with the Xerces2 implementation, can I just call cloneNode(true) and
get an identical copy of the whole document, including doctype,
entities, entity references, etc...?  Again, would this be more
efficient than reparsing the document each time with, say, the
Xerces2 DOMParser?  Is there a clear-cut answer to this, or does it
depend on document size or other aspect of the document or environment?

thanks,

Jake