xml-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No ICLA for some authors in Sun's JAXP 1.3 donation
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:33:12 GMT

On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:20 PM, Jeff Suttor wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 07:33 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> What I would do is just remove the names from the code, and in the
>> commit message, note that you are removing as they are internal Sun
>> committers, that their work was done at Sun before the contribution
>> was
>> made, and you are removing them to eliminate the confusion that arose.
>
> I would prefer that my @author stay intact.
> I have just sent in an ICLA.

It doesn't matter for this case - the existence of the author tags
reflects work that happened before the software was donated to Apache,
so from a legal standpoint, it's moot.  I know this may come across as
harsh, and I don't mean to be - the use of author tags is a community
issue (and a generally contentious one!)  and one that the ASF board
has recommended against.  However it is up to the individual project to
decide how author tags are handled.

Personally, I'd find it utterly baffling to find an author tag in the
file with no related commit by that author.  An alternative to just
erasing them, in order to preserve that information  in some way, would
be to move it to the NOTICE file for the project?

An alternative also is to contribute to the project and become a
committer.  you do have the paperwork done :)

geir

geirm@apache.org